Return to Court Services

Last Updated November 10, 2015

Court Services - Frequently Asked Questions

What defendants does Adult Court Services (ACS) supervise?

Please refer to ACS Programs and Services to see answers to this question for each program.

If ACS supervises home detention only for Boone County residents, whom do I contact if I live outside Boone County and will be on home detention on a Boone County Courthouse case?

Contact ACS for assistance. Third party agencies are generally available to perform home detention and electronic monitoring services outside of Boone County, but they must be pre-approved by ACS.

What will happen if I remove or tamper with my ACS-supervised home detention equipment? Or if I fail to return the equipment to Court Services?

Revised Statutes of Missouri § 575.205 provides that a person commits the felony of tampering with electronic monitoring equipment if s/he intentionally removes, alters, tampers with, damages or destroys any piece of such equipment which a court has ordered the person to wear. All electronic monitoring equipment used by Court Services sends an electronic alert to ACS if the equipment is removed or tampered with. ACS responds to any such alerts immediately.

If electronic monitoring equipment is not returned, the defendant is required to pay for the equipment. The equipment can cost $1000 or more. In addition, Court Services notifies the Prosecuting Attorney of any failure to return equipment and the latter office generally files a new felony case for theft or stealing of property of value $500 to $2500. 

If I am assigned electronic monitoring, how much will my program fees be?

If the electronic monitoring is supervised by ACS, the daily fee is the largest of the following three amounts: daily cost of the equipment to ACS; the current minimum wage; or the defendant’s hourly wage.

If the electronic monitoring is supervised by State P&P, your P.O. will provide you the fee schedule. If supervised by a private monitoring service because you reside outside Boone County, the daily fee is a matter between the defendant and the monitoring service.

Where do I pay court costs, fines and restitution?

Court-ordered amounts must be paid at:

13th Judicial Circuit Court
Accounting Office
705 E. Walnut St.
Columbia, MO 65201
Tel. (573) 886-4026

How much time do I have to pay court costs, fines and restitution?

Unless otherwise directed by the judge in your case, all court-ordered amounts must be paid “forthwith.” This term means immediately (before leaving the courthouse). The only exceptions are:

  • If your judge grants you an extension to make your payment. Your judge will only consider granting you an extension if you request one at the time you are sentenced and you provide the judge specifics as to why you cannot pay immediately; or
  • If you are ordered to pay fines or restitution (or both) in addition to your court costs and you visit Court Services before leaving the courthouse and enter into a payment plan. The down payment under a payment plan is due the day of sentencing.

Note: Payment plans are not available if only court costs are ordered.

What happens if I do not make immediate payment or enter into a payment plan?

A warrant for your arrest may be sought for failure to follow the judge’s orders. As a rule, a cash only bond for the full amount ordered plus 20% debt collection fee will be required to be released from incarceration.

What forms of payment are accepted by the 13th Judicial Circuit Court?

Personal checks are not accepted. Cash, money orders, credit card and debit card payments are all accepted. In case of any questions, just phone the Accounting Office at (573) 886-4026.

My sentence was suspended and I was placed on probation. What do I need to do while on probation?

There are three types of probation - State P&P-supervised; ACS-supervised; and unsupervised. All three have standard conditions (e.g., no new violations of law). All three may include special conditions (e.g., attend a program). Violation of any one or more conditions can result in revocation of the probation and the requirement that the jail term be served. While on probation, you must continue to meet all conditions day-in, day-out.                                                                                 

If you are on State P&P-supervised probation, you must satisfy the conditions of release that were put in place by your judge. Court Services has no role in State P&P-supervised probation (mostly felonies).

If you are on unsupervised probation, you must satisfy the conditions of release that were put in place by your judge. Court Services has no role in unsupervised probation.

If you are on Court Services-supervised probation, a court services officer will monitor you and your case until all affirmative conditions are met - all court-ordered amounts paid, all ordered programs completed, ordered community service work completed. ACS will file a violation report if any affirmative condition is left uncompleted or if any negative conditions (e.g., no new arrests) is violated. In response to an ACS violation report, the court will generally suspend probation and order a probation violation hearing. In addition, the Prosecuting Attorney’s Office may file a motion to revoke. Note: failure to attend a probation violation hearing can result in a warrant for your arrest being immediately issued.

What are the differences between being on probation and being on parole?

Probation is an alternative to serving any of the court’s sentence. Parole is an early release after some of the sentence has been served.

Probation frequently is assigned for a longer time period than the sentence. For example, a defendant with a suspended sixty day sentence may be assigned probation for two years. The parole term on 13th Judicial Circuit cases is always the same number of days as the unserved portion of the sentence.

If probation is revoked, the entire jail term remains to be served. This is true even if probation is revoked one or two days before the end of the probation term. Days on probation do not count as days of sentence served.

If parole is revoked, only the remaining days of the sentence need to be served. Each day on parole counts as a jail day served.

What is a furlough and when are furloughs granted?

A furlough is an approved absence from being in custody (usually from being in Boone County Jail, but can also be from being on electronic monitoring or judicial parole). A judge can (but not must) allow a furlough in the event of a serious medical condition of the defendant or a family member, in the event of death of a family member or in other exigent circumstances.