|The Callaway County Courthouse in Fulton, Missouri, is located at 10 East 5th Street in downtown Fulton.|
Fulton became the county seat of Callaway County in 1825. At that time, the county erected a log building to serve as the county courthouse. The county also established the public square, and all four courthouses built in Fulton, including the current one, have been located in the square. In 1828, a second courthouse was completed. This time the courthouse was made out of brick and cost $1,300. S.J. Ferguson built the two-story, 36-foot-square building, described as a “model of neatness, comfort, and convenience.” The third courthouse was designed by George W. Braley and built by Alfred Moore in 1856 for $20,000. This courthouse had six columns, where most Missouri courts had four.
The fourth and final courthouse was dedicated on March 18, 1940. That is the same courthouse that is used today. Architects E.C. Henderson, Jr. and Paul Elsner prepared the plans for this three-story building with a jail. Federal funds and bonds supported the cost of $250,000. J.E. Hathman contracted and built the 134-by-80 foot, three-story, brick and stone structure, with the principal entrance facing north. On the exterior of the courthouse there are eight medallions carved into the building, representing eight incidents in Callaway’s history. In 1996 a major $2 million renovation began and paved the way for continued judicial practice into the 21st Century. The Callaway County Courthouse is a multi-use facility housing not only the court but many other county offices, as well. In Callaway’s courthouse you will also find the offices for the county auditor, clerk, prosecutor, recorder, treasurer, and the Callaway Commission, just to name a few. In January 2011, a new hearing room was added to the first floor and hi-tech sound systems have been installed.