The Supreme Court of Missouri’s Committee on Civic Education is pleased to announce The Constitution Project – a new statewide competition for high school students that will culminate with its final round championships in Jefferson City for the fall semester of 2013.
Winners of the Finals Held in Jefferson City!
More than 70 students from Cardinal Ritter College Preparatory High School in St. Louis, Houston High School in Houston, Logan-Rogersville High School in Rogersville and Rock Bridge High School in Columbia competed in the inaugural statewide finals of The Constitution Project Tuesday, Nov. 19 in Jefferson City. The crime scene investigation and news conference portions of the competition were held on the campus of the Missouri State Highway Patrol headquarters, with the trial portion of the competition taking place in the courtrooms of the Supreme Court Building. The competition culminated with an awards celebration hosted by the Supreme Court of Missouri and presided over by Missouri Chief Justice Mary R. Russell.
Awards were given to the top individual and top team in each of three categories, and each individual winner also received a $1,000 scholarship:
- First Amendment Awards (for outstanding journalism)
- Team Winner: Rock Bridge High School
- Individual Winner: Caroline Dade, Logan-Rogersville High School (scholarship provided by the Missouri Broadcasters Association and the Missouri Press Association)
- Fifth Amendment Awards (for outstanding crime scene investigation)
- Team Winner: Logan-Rogersville High School
- Individual Winner: Sarah Lowe, Logan-Rogersville High School (scholarship provided by the Missouri Police Chiefs Association and the Missouri Sheriffs' Association)
- Sixth Amendment Awards (for outstanding trial advocacy)
- Team Winner: Houston High School
- Individual Winner: Christopher Dade, Logan-Rogersville High School (scholarship provided by the Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys)
The team with the highest overall score was named Grand Champion and was presented with the Freedom Cup, a traveling trophy. The 2013 Grand Champion was Logan-Rogersville High School.
|News Coverage of the Competition
Congratulations to the schools competing this year:
- Glendale High School (Springfield)
- Logan-Rogersville High School (Rogersville)
South Central Region
- Dixon High School (Dixon)
- Houston High School (Houston)
- Helias High School (Jefferson City)
- Rock Bridge High School (Columbia)
St. Louis Region
- Cardinal Ritter College Preparatory High School (St. Louis)
- Clayton High School (Clayton)
Constitution Project Videos:
The Committee has prepared videos to assist the schools and students in learning the skills required in the project. We have made the Crime Scene Investigation video available as an example of the materials that will be provided.
The video is available from the Missouri State Highway Patrol's Video Library web page. From this page, click the video image labeled "The Constitution Project: Criminal Investigation Video."
1st Amendment Video
If you have additional questions, you may find answers to them on the Frequently Asked Questions page.