Today in the Courts
- The governor on Nov. 27 appointed Jackson County Deputy Probate Commissioner S. Margene Burnett to fill the Mesle circuit judge vacancy in Jackson County.
- St. Louis Judge Jimmie Edwards on Nov. 21 was presented the 2013 Rehnquist Award during a ceremony at the United States Supreme Court.
- The governor on Nov. 21 appointed St. Louis attorney Philip M. Hess to fill the vacancy on the Missouri Court of Appeals, Eastern District created by the retirement of Judge Kathianne Knaup Crane.
- Winners of the finals of The Constitution Project were announced Tuesday night, Nov. 19 in Jefferson City.
- The governor on Nov. 19 appointed Platte County associate circuit judge Thomas C. Fincham, to fill the circuit judge vacancy in the sixth circuit created by the retirement of The Honorable Owens Lee Hull Jr.
- The Supreme Court of Missouri on Nov. 8 approved a new fee to help fund legal services to impoverished Missourians to alleviate cuts in federal funding.
- For the lawyer-member vacancy on the 31st circuit judicial commission, a run-off election will be held Nov. 12 through Dec. 7. For the lawyer-member vacancy on the 7th circuit judicial commission, a special election will be held Jan. 2 through 25, 2014. Attorneys in those circuits can find the election portal here.
Pending judicial vacancies:
- The 21st circuit judicial commission on Dec. 4 announced the demographic, interviewee and meeting information regarding the associate circuit judge vacancy in St. Louis County created by the retirement of Judge Brenda Stith Loftin and the governor appointed Christine A. Bertelson to fill the non-lawyer member vacancy on the commission.
- The 16th circuit judicial commission on Nov. 26 announced it is seeking applications to fill the circuit judge vacancy in Jackson County created by the retirement of Judge Peggy Stevens McGraw.
Judicial nominations in trial courts:
- The sixth circuit commission on Dec. 4 nominated Kansas City attorneys W. Ann Hansbrough and Christie Jess, along with Weston attorney Abe "Quint" Shafer V to fill the Van Amburg associate circuit judge vacancy in Platte County. The demographic, interviewee and meeting information may be found here.
- In the 16th circuit (Jackson County) Jackson County prosecutor's office chief trial attorneys Michael J. Hunt and Jalilah Otto, and solo practitioner Patricia Scaglia were nominated for the associate circuit judge vacancy created by the elevation of Judge Kenneth R. Garrett III to circuit judge. The demographic, interviewee and meeting information for the vacancy can be found here.