Selection of judges in the Supreme Court, the Missouri Court of Appeals and six of the state's urban trial courts is governed by the merit-based nonpartisan court plan. In the remaining 109 counties, voters continue to choose trial judges through partisan elections. When an interim vacancy occurs in one of these counties, the governor appoints a judge to serve until the next election. For more information about this application process, click here: interim judicial vacancies in trial courts
The process of filing vacancies under the Missouri Nonpartisan Court Plan requires the governor to select judges from a panel of three qualified applicants selected by a nonpartisan commission of citizens, lawyers and a judge. Voters then decide periodically whether to retain nonpartisan judges. For vacancies on the Supreme Court of Missouri and Missouri Court of Appeals, the nonpartisan commission is called the Appellate Judicial Commission. The six circuit courts subject to the nonpartisan plan have their own circuit judicial commissions.
Current Nonpartisan Judicial Vacancies
- Sixth Judicial Circuit (Platte County):
- There currently are no vacancies in Platte County.
- Seventh Judicial Circuit (Clay County):
- There currently are no vacancies in Clay County.
- 16th Judicial Circuit (Jackson County):
- The commission expects to meet August 23 to select nominees for the Schieber circuit judge vacancy in Jackson County.
- The governor on August 16 appointed Kansas City attorney George Wolf to fill the Powell circuit judge vacancy in Jackson County.
- 21st Judicial Circuit (St. Louis County):
- There currently are no vacancies in St. Louis County.
- 22nd Judicial Circuit (St. Louis city):
- 31st Judicial Circuit (Greene County):
- The commission on July 6 nominated Jerry Harmison, Todd Myers and Todd Thornhill for the Imhof associate circuit judge vacancy in Greene County.
Missouri Court of Appeals
- There currently are no vacancies on the Missouri Court of Appeals.
Supreme Court of Missouri
- There currently are no vacancies on the Supreme Court of Missouri.